My Job Is To Be Comfortable With Uncomfortable Conversations
The uncomfortable conversation. You know the one— unspoken hostility, hidden agendas, and grudges older than you are. It’s time to trot out the elephant in the room and talk about it.
Truth is—the elephant is there, taking up space, even if you ignore it.
Those uncomfortable conversations are the catalyst to breaking through the barriers preventing your family enterprise from reaching its potential—and for you, it could mean getting that 12,000-pound elephant off your back.
But how? It’s natural to avoid conflict and difficult conversations.
Let me help. Staying calm, objective, and focused during high-stakes, emotional conversations is a big part of what I do.
I’m Tim Williford, a trusted family business advisor and former executive team member of a second-generation family business.
After 20 years inside a successful family enterprise, I get the particularly combustible combination of family + conflict + business.
My family’s business…
- Grosses $90-million in annual revenue
- Is one of the largest mechanical contractors in North Carolina
- Depended on me to eliminate as much risk from projects as possible
- Has employed as many as 500 people
With my experience as a court mediator and background in law and business, I have a deep understanding of the complexity of the relationship systems at work in all organizations, particularly in family businesses.
My clients think of me as a trusted partner, guide, and problem solver. I know how to dig down to the root of obstacles, so that productive and mutually satisfying decisions can be reached.
As a neutral outsider, I see issues hidden by your company’s blind spots, and I’m able to provide a roadmap for the way past conflict.
- Certified N.C. Superior Court Mediator
- Former attorney who worked in executive management of a specialty trade-contracting firm
- Has helped senior executives, the corporate controller as well as HR and Safety managers achieve both the business and financial goals of the company
- BA in Psychology
- Law degree from Mercer University School of Law
- MBA from the Whitman School of Management at Syracuse University
- Professional Certificate in Organizational Consulting and Change Leadership from Georgetown University.
- Certificates in Family Business Advising (CFBA) and Family Wealth Advising (CFWA) from the Family Firm Institute (FFI)
- Served as a member of Wilson County (NC) Board of Commissioners and in senior leadership positions of state and national trade associations
When I’m not helping others achieve their business goals, you’ll find me happily spending time with my wife and family, exploring the North Carolina mountains, or boating on the Neuse River.